• The History of Lone Pine School

    Circa 1941 Dating back to the 1850's, Lone Pine School has historically been a focus of leadership and excellence throughout Jackson County. A one-room building with white shiplap siding and a red roof became the Red Top School of 1887, located on the hill along Lone Pine Road. The school, replacing small isolated structures from nearby sites, was also known and registered as Lone Pine School because of one lone pine tree in front of the fenced schoolyard.

    From this typically rural American beginning has grown one of the largest and certainly one of the most respected elementary schools in the Medford area. The present sprawling campus of Lone Pine School overlooks a panoramic view of the Rogue Valley.

    The Lone Pine staff has traditionally encouraged high academic goals to help set the pace of high standards of excellence in the Medford School District. Our students are nurtured not only toward academic excellence within the classroom but also through participation in extra-curricular events throughout the year. Lone Pine students have the opportunity to compete in the Geography Bee, Math League, Spelling Bee, and a variety of other academic endeavors throughout the year. The success and high attendance rates at our school barbecue, Curriculum Fair, and Harvest Carnival also exemplifies the tremendous parental and community support Lone Pine has long enjoyed.

    The 32 students registered long ago in the Red Top School surely felt proud of their school and the strong parental influence that gave it a place of importance in their community. Through years of changes in buildings and enrollments, the larger and more encompassing Lone Pine School of today mirrors the same pride. Lone Pine School continues to kindle the spirit of learning and leadership that fuels a bright future for us all.