Unit 5 Math Goals:
1. The students will understand, represent, and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- Visualize, represent, and solve put together/take apart story problems with both addends unknown, and find all the possible combinations.
- Prove that all of the possible two-addend combinations of a number have been found.
- Visualize, represent and solve put together/take apart story problems with one addend unknown, and record solution strategies.
- Visualize, represent, and solve put together/take apart story problems with the total/result unknown.
- Visualizing, representing, and solving a put together/take apart problems about unknown change.
- Solve problems with one, two, or more addends unknown.
- Use numbers, pictures, words and/or notation to represent a solution to a problem.
- Consider whether order matters in addition.
- Adding and subtracting within 20, deomonstrating fluency within 10.
- Generate a story context to match a given equation.
2. The Students will understand equivalence.
- Determine equivalent expressions for a given expression. (7 + 8= 10 + ___)
- Generate equivalent expressions for a given number.
- UsinUnderstand that equal sign represents equivalence.
- Interpreting and using standard notation (<,>,+,-,=).
- Determining whether equations are true or false.
3. Understanding place value.
- Determine the 2 digit number that represents a quantity organized into groups of ten and some number of ones.
- Recognize that the first didit of a 2-digit number designates the number of groups of tens and the second digit designates the number of ones.
- Use an equation to represent a 2-digit number as the sum of a multiple of ten and some number of ones (22= 20+2).