Online & College Courses

  • SMHS College Credit Opportunities

    All South Medford High School students have the opportunity to earn college credit. These credits may be earned free or at a significantly reduced rate.

    There are three options available to earn college credit while in high school:

    1. Take a SMHS course that offers credit in conjunction with Rogue Community College, Lane Community College or Southern Oregon University.
    2. Take a SMHS Advanced Placement course and pass the AP exam (your score and requirements of the university you choose to attend, will dictate how much credit you may receive).
    3. Take an RCC or SOU course through the RCC Underage, SOU Early Entry or Oregon Expanded Options programs at RCC or SOU while enrolled in high school.

    When may I start earning college credit?

    Students and parents should consider college credit opportunities beginning freshman year. A strong four year plan may result in significant savings in terms of time and money.

    Where are these classes offered?

    The majority of these classes are taught on the SMHS campus. There are additional opportunities for college credit by taking online courses through RCC.

    How do I get started?

    Begin by reviewing the SMHS Course Handbook. Courses with potential college credit are noted on page 12. Once you have your plan, discuss your selection with your counselor. Once enrolled, you may check with your teacher or counselor for any paperwork needed in order to receive college credit.




  • Advanced Placement Credit

    Some of the upper-level courses we offer are designated Advanced Placement (AP) classes. This means that the curriculum parallels the content tested on the Advanced Placement Exams offered each May by the College Board (a national testing agency).

    AP courses are offered at SMHS for the following subjects: Studio Art, Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, Economics, English Language, English Composition, US Government and Politics, US History, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, Art History, European History, Human Geography, Spanish Language and Spanish Literature. Note: Some courses are offered every other year.

    If you take an AP class, it is recorded on your high school transcript and counts as credit toward graduation. To receive college credit, you must take and pass the AP exam for that subject. If you are interested in taking an AP course, you should talk to your counselor. It is possible to take an AP exam even if you are not enrolled in an AP class. Additionally, while some advanced level classes may not have the AP designation, their content may still provide excellent preparation for the exam. You can read more information about Advanced Placement Exams at

  • Southern Oregon University and Rogue Community College Credit

    Rogue Community College (RCC) offers college credit for many courses taken as part of a student’s regular schedule at SMHS. These courses are designated as RCC College Now credit.

    Students may earn college credit at Southern Oregon University (SOU) for some of the advanced courses offered at SMHS – this is generally referred to as “Advanced Southern Credit”. Usually, these courses are identified in the course description however, since we are continuing to add this option to more classes, you should ask your classroom teacher. There is a fee per credit charged by SOU. Check with the classroom teacher for the current cost.

    SOU credit is also available to high school students through the Early Entry program. Students can take lower division college classes on the SOU campus at a significantly reduced cost for tuition.

    Classes taken at SOU or RCC may be counted as one of the classes on your high school schedule for eligibility purposes.

    For more information about how you can receive Southern Oregon University or Rogue Community College credit, please talk with your teachers, your school counselor or the Panther Future Center.

  • Rogue Community College Courses at SMHS

    We have several opportunities for SMHS students to earn RCC college credits. RCC Career Pathways program offers a Basic Healthcare Certificate.

  • Online Courses for High School Credit

    On occasion, SMHS students may wish to enroll in online courses or wish to receive high school credit for classes not taken in the Medford School District. In order for these courses to be counted for credit, they must be earned from a school that is accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools (NAAS) or an organization that is formally affiliated with NAAS. Go to for more information and a listing of accredited institutions. To ensure that credits will count toward graduation please have all coursework approved in advance.