The Freshman Year
A successful 9th grade year is crucial to high school success.
Freshmen who finish their 9th grade year on-track to graduate are four times more likely to graduate on time than students who fall behind. In order to help all freshmen make a strong transition from middle school to high school and finish the year on-track to graduate, North Medford's 9th-grade class is split between three academic teams -this is the Freshman Academy. Each team is comprised of one or more freshman teachers of each core subject (math, English, social studies, and science) who share same group of students. These teams meet weekly to determine how to best meet the needs of students and help them prepare for academic success and welcome them to the spirit and traditions of North Medford High School.
The Functions of the Freshman Academy:
- Support all students in academic excellence
- Provide appropriate academic opportunities for all students
- Provide a team of supportive adults for all students
- Work with students to explore their dreams and passions
- Work with students to explore pathways that will be chosen at the end of their freshman year
- Establish a culture of family and a connection for all students to North Medford
- Each freshman will have an advisory class (Homeroom) to support them in all areas