April 28, 2020 Update:
Due to the COVID-19 social distancing restrictions set by our governor, 2020-2021 6th Grade Academy presentations will be provided online this year. Please see the details below for more information on when/how to view your middle school’s presentation. Please contact your new middle school at the email provided if you have questions after viewing your presentation.
- Presentation Date – Week of May 4
- Presentation will be available for viewing at the following locations:
- There will be a Facebook Live Q & A on Monday, May 11 at 5pm.
- Parents should email Hedrick@medford.k12.or.us with questions
- Presentation Date – April 30
- Email – McLoughlin will send out notifications with a link to view their presentation
- Presentation is available for viewing at the below links
- Parents should email email@example.com with questions
All applications have been processed and email notifications have been sent. If you applied for Sixth Grade Academy and have not received a placemement notification email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the Sixth Grade Academy?
The Medford School District is excited to launch its third year of Sixth Grade Academy, an opportunity for sixth graders to access the middle school experience, for fall 2020. The program is open to up to 120 sixth graders at both McLoughlin and Hedrick Middle Schools.
What are the Goals of the Sixth Grade Academy?
- Provide sixth graders with access to the middle school experience while still offering a sheltered setting for most of the day.
- Allow sixth graders to take higher-level math on-site, band and orchestra within the school day, and explore extra-curricular activities, competitions, and clubs.
- Provide opportunities for sixth graders to participate in more athletics: specific sports to be determined, but possibly cross country, track and wrestling.
- Afford more space at local elementary schools to alleviate the pressure of growing enrollment in some MSD elementary schools.
- Provide more choices to families.
Has this been done before?
A similar program, the Sixth Grade Pilot, launched successfully in 2001, and was in place until 2004. In 2015, the MSD launched a task force of staff, parents, and community members to analyze the potential benefits and drawbacks of moving sixth graders to middle school. After research and discussion, the task force recommended that sixth graders be moved, but gradually.
The district has been in discussion of building another middle school, but its long-range facilities plan calls for using all available space and resources prior to going to voters for a bond. The school district has invested in additional staffing, technology, lockers, and made room modifications at both middle schools for the Sixth Grade Academy.
What does it look like?
Students have a similar daily schedule as the rest of the middle school. While students are somewhat sheltered with a separate lunch, locker area, etc., the Academy aims to mirror more of a typical middle school experience where students have a team of teachers who provide instruction in specific subject area(s). Students participate in electives with other teachers such as band or orchestra, or PE. One of the core sixth grade teachers may teach an elective. Electives may or may not include 7th graders, depending on enrollment and staffing determined later in the spring.
We encourage you to attend the middle school Academy information nights to learn more. Please check with each middle school for their dates and times:
- Hedrick Middle School: 541-842-3700 or Hedrick@medford.k12.or.us
- McLoughlin Middle School: 541-842-3720 or McLoughlin@medford.k12.or.us
What about transportation?
A student must be eligible for transportation (following middle school guidelines which is 1.5 miles or more from home) in the attending area. Transportation is provided at the normal middle school times and established bus stops.
Who is eligible to apply?
The Sixth Grade Academy is open to current 5th grade Medford School District residents or non-resident students attending on an approved transfer.
- Medford School District resident students ARE eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students currently enrolled with Medford on an approved transfer ARE eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students currently enrolled in a Medford Charter are NOT eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students not currently enrolled in a Medford school are NOT eligible to apply.
How do I apply for my child to attend Sixth Grade Academy?
Application to Sixth Grade Academy is an online application process. The online application requires you to provide a valid email address. If you do not have an email address, please contact your child's elementary school office. Each office will have paper applications available. The application window opens January 21, 2020, and closes on March 17, 2020. Late applications are not accepted.
Go to the following link to apply: 2020-2021 Sixth Grade Academy Online Application
How will my child be selected?
Medford School District is committed to a fair and nondiscriminatory random lottery process.
How does the Lottery Work?
- Each elementary school will be assigned a number spots in the Sixth Grade Academy based on projected enrollment.
- Each elementary school will have a separate lottery.
- If the number of applicants exceeds the number of spots available for that school, then we will randomly draw names to fill those spots.
- If one student selected has a same grade sibling in the same household, that student will also receive a spot.
- Each elementary school will have a separate wait list.