Every seven years, social science standards are adopted by the State Board of Education. In 2018, Oregon adopted Social Science Standards identifying grade-level standards for civics, geography, economics, financial literacy, history, historical thinking, and social science analysis. The 2018 standards also co-identified selected standards as multicultural. The 2018 standards are the current required standards for use by Medford School District through the 2025-2026 school year.
In February of 2021, the State Board of Education adopted another set of social science standards integrating ethnic studies into each of the social science domains and removed the co-identified multi-cultural standards. Medford School District will implement the 2021 Social Science Standards beginning in fall 2026.
The newly adopted 2021 social science standards reflect a shift in content best addressed through pedagogical methods that create a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students to study and discuss issues of discrimination, equity, racism, and prejudice.
- Oregon Department of Education Ethnic Studies - Frequently Asked Questions
Adopted Instructional Materials
- Kindergarten through Fourth grade teachers use lessons developed by Medford School District teachers with supporting materials. The previous Fourth grade curriculum, which was open source, is no longer available.
- Fifth grade students use myWorld Interactive by Pearson 2018.
- Sixth grade students use World Cultures and Geography by Cengage/Nat.Geo 2019.
- Seventh grade students use World History Great Civilizations Cengage/Nat. Geo 2018.
- Eighth grade students use US History American Stories Cengage/Nat. Geo 2018.
- For our high school Social Science Adopted Instructional Materials you may review the list here. .
If you have any questions or would like to review our materials please contact Lisa Yamashita, Director of Curriculum, Assessment and TAG Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-842-3873.