Children and youth in foster care represent one of the most vulnerable student subgroups in this country. Educational stability is a key component in a foster care student’s success. Laws have been passed that require local and state child welfare and education agencies to implement legislation focusing on continuity and stability in a foster care student’s education.
You may qualify for certain rights and protection
Eligible students have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin, if that is their preference and is feasible.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students' needs.
If you believe you may be eligible, contact Jason Davies to find out what services and supports may be available.