Sixth Grade Academy - Application Now Open
January 21, 2020
We are excited to open applications for our Sixth Grade Academy at Hedrick and McLoughlin Middle Schools for the 2020-2021 school year. The Sixth Grade Academy is an opportunity for sixth graders to access the middle school experience. The program is open to up to 120 sixth-graders at both McLoughlin and Hedrick Middle Schools.
If you would like to apply for your current fifth-grader, please fill out the application at this link:
Applications Sixth Grade Academy are due on March 17, 2020.
NOTE: In the fall of 2021, Medford School District will open a third middle school and all sixth graders will attend their assigned middle school. Please note that your child’s assigned middle school may change depending on the outcome of attendance zone changes. For more information about the third middle school and our attendance zoning process, please visit www.medford.k12.or.us/nextsteps.
If you have questions, please contact your elementary principal or the Elementary Education Department at 541-842-3627. You may also email the Administrative Assistant to Elementary Education, Michelle Moore, at email@example.com.
- January 21 - Sixth Grade Online Application opens
- January 23 - Information Night at McLoughlin (6:30-8:00 PM)
- January 28 - Information Night at Hedrick for the following schools (6:00-7:00 PM):
Abraham Lincoln Elementary Hoover Elementary
Kennedy Elementary Lone Pine Elementary
Roosevelt Elementary Wilson Elementary
- January 30- Hedrick Information Night at Hoover Elementary (6:00 - 7:00 PM)
- March 17 - Sixth Grade Application Closes
- By April 8 - Random Lottery Drawings Completed & Families Notified of Placement
- April 13-24 - Incoming students/families Welcome Night(s). Specific dates to be determined.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What is the Sixth Grade Academy?
The Medford School District is excited to launch its third and final year of Sixth Grade Academy, an opportunity for sixth graders to access the middle school experience, for fall 2020. The program is open to up to 120 sixth-graders at both McLoughlin and Hedrick Middle Schools.
What are the Goals of the Sixth Grade Academy?
- Provide sixth graders with access to the middle school experience while still offering a sheltered setting for most of the day.
- Allow sixth graders to take higher-level math on-site, band and orchestra within the school day, and explore extra-curricular activities, competitions, and clubs.
- Provide opportunities for sixth graders to participate in more athletics: specific sports to be determined, but possibly cross country, track and wrestling.
- Afford more space at local elementary schools to alleviate the pressure of growing enrollment in some MSD elementary schools.
- Provide more choices to families.
Has this been done before?
Yes, this is the third year of Sixth Grade Academy. However, another middle school will be opening fall 2021! In the interim over the last three years, the school district has invested in additional staffing, technology, lockers, and space enhancements at both middle schools to support the Sixth Grade Academy.
What does it look like?
Students have a similar daily schedule as the rest of the middle school. While students are somewhat sheltered with a separate lunch, locker area, etc., the Academy aims to mirror more of a typical middle school experience where students have a team of teachers who provide instruction in specific subject area(s). Students participate in electives with other teachers such as band or orchestra, or PE. One of the core sixth grade teachers may teach an elective. Electives may or may not include 7th graders, depending on enrollment and staffing determined later in the spring.
We encourage you to attend the middle school Academy information nights to learn more. Please check with each middle school for their dates and times:
What about transportation?
A student must be eligible for transportation (following middle school guidelines which is 1.5 miles or more from home) in the attending area. Transportation is provided at the normal middle school times and established bus stops.
Who is eligible to apply?
The Sixth Grade Academy is open to current 5th grade Medford School District residents or non-resident students currently attending the Medford School District on an approved transfer.
- Medford School District resident students ARE eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students currently enrolled with Medford on an approved transfer ARE eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students currently enrolled in a Medford Charter are NOT eligible to apply.
- Non-resident students not currently enrolled in a Medford school are NOT eligible to apply.
How do I apply for my child to attend Sixth Grade Academy?
Application to Sixth Grade Academy is an online application process. The online application requires you to provide a valid email address. If you do not have an email address, please contact your child's elementary school office. Each office will have paper applications available. The application window opens January 21, 2020, and closes on March 17, 2020. Late applications are not accepted.
Go to the following link to apply: 2020-2021 Sixth Grade Academy Online Application
How will my child be selected?
Medford School District is committed to a fair and nondiscriminatory random lottery process.
How does the Lottery Work?
- Each elementary school will be assigned a number of spaces in the Sixth Grade Academy based on projected enrollment.
- Each elementary school will have a separate lottery.
- If the number of applicants exceeds the number of spaces available for that school, then we will randomly draw names to fill those spaces.
- If one student selected has a same grade sibling in the same household, that student will also receive a space.
- Each elementary school will have a separate waitlist.