2019-2020 Calendar Approved
Medford School District Families:
As you know, last year the Medford School District explored the option of beginning the school year prior to Labor Day and the proposal was passed by the Board last January 2018. We began the school year on Monday August 27, 2018 and students were in school four days prior to the Labor Day weekend. This current school year is set to end on Wednesday June 5, 2019.
We have monitored the implementation of the current calendar and have continued to have discussions with staff, parents and students to gather anecdotal feedback. The feedback we have received has been resoundingly positive. Some of the primary themes have been:
- People were glad to get back to school because the of the smoke.
- Staff liked having the inservice week and the first four days of school completed prior to the four day Labor Day weekend. They were able to really enjoy the weekend and not have to prepare for the first day of school as in the past.
- Winter athletic eligibility was easier to determine because the first quarter was complete prior to November.
- People are excited about having the 3rd quarter complete prior to spring break and students will not be in school the Friday prior to spring break due to a grading day. This allows for easier travel for families for spring break.
- The 2018-2019 school year will end much earlier on June 5th and graduation ceremonies will be on Saturday June 1st.
Based on this information, we drafted the 2019-2020 calendar to mirror the current calendar and the Board approved it on Monday January 28, 2019. The first day of school will be Monday August 26, 2019 and the last day of school will be Wednesday June 3, 2020.
Thank you again for your continued support.